Vegetarian Chili with Tofu
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup red pepper, chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped
3/4 cup carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, quartered
1 cup zucchini, cubed
1-28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1-19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-19 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1-19 oz can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
1 block firm tofu, cubed (optional)
1 tbsp cumin, ground
1 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
1 1/2 tsp basil, dried
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, green and red peppers, celery, carrots, garlic and chili powder. Cook, stirring often, until veggies are softened.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini. Cook and stir for 4 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, water, tofu, cumin, oregano, basil and cayenne. Stir everything together.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over brown rice or your favourite grain.